Kelly Starrett on Mobility
I have been listening to Kelly Starrett's principles on mobility for several years now. Recently he recorded a question and answer podcast with Tim Ferriss on important tips regarding training, mobility, and movement throughout our daily lives.
Some of the key principles from the podcast:
1) Humans should be able to complete basic movements from the moment we get out of bed. We should have normal range of motion in our joints prior to the warm-up. If someone has to warm-up to achieve the necessary range of motion to do a pull-up, they are at risk for injury. We need to be able to perform the range of motion innately, the warm-up should be used perfecting the movement and priming the muscles for harder movements.
2) Creating a "12 minute mobility WOD" for everyone would not be a good strategy for eliminating injury. Each person has unique mobility deficits and compensations. We need to be creative with our daily mobility exercises to keep the body flexible is multiple ranges. There is no mobility recipe for everyone.
3) Addressing the mobility alone is not sufficient, we need to change the underlying movement dysfunction.
4) Breathing, nutrition, and following a proper sleeping schedule are vital for healthy movement.
5) Sitting and prolonged positions are causing many of our problems. We need to be in a movement rich environment.
Check out the full podcast here
Like this post...Check out more great information on our Insider Access Page!
Sitting Wrecks Your Hips
The problem with sitting exists beyond the chair as well. Normal standing posture requires little muscular action to maintain an upright position. In the presence of a hip flexor contracture due to prolonged sitting, forces are placed anteriorly across the hip requiring the hip extensors to counteract the force. Increased muscular action and metabolic cost creates the desire to sit, perpetuating the circumstance which initiated the hip flexion contracture (Neumann 2010). Continue Reading
Leave a Reply.
Dr. Brian Schwabe's NEW Book in partner with PaleoHacks!
Learn residency-level content on our
Insider Access pages
We value quality PT education & CEU's. Click the MedBridge logo below for TSPT savings!