Physical Therapy Top 10 Beliefs
Below are my TOP 10 Physical Therapy beliefs. These are not meant to be offensive, but merely thought provoking. I hope you can resonate with one or two of them. Please share with a friend!
10. Physical therapists have unique opportunities to change people's lives everyday. Change is not easy, but passion and persistence usually prevail!
9. We do not have all the answers. Twenty years ago we thought ultrasound was good. Ten years ago we believed manipulations worked for biomechanical reasons. Our current research will only be developed and improved upon tomorrow. Look ahead, not behind!
8. In our current society, we have too many under qualified people teaching others how to move (look at our current fitness industry). Physical therapists are the movement and pain experts. We must be active in the community, teaching trainers, coaches, etc... how to move.
7. Orthopedic pains are commonly problems of system overload, not isolated issues. Do not underestimate the value of nutrition, sleep, stress, and lifestyle.
6. Connecting with someone on a human level is enough to get them better. There is plenty of pain and suffering in the world. More low trap or gluteal strength is not always the answer!
5. Shutting down other health professionals is a poor example of our character as a profession. It is an unacceptable way to state an opinion and should never happen.
4. There is a reason massage therapy is a >12 billion dollar industry. While it might not work on paper, people enjoy it and are willing to spend their own cash on it. More importantly, people tell their friends about how great it is. Physical Therapy needs to become a profession that people value and are willing to spend their own money on.
3. We are the only doctoral profession embarrassed to tell people we are doctors! This has got to change. We worked extremely hard for those letters. Embrace them.
2. We search too hard for answers to our client's problems. If we simply slow down to listen, the solution usually presents itself.
1. Physical Therapists should be the provider of choice for all musculoskeletal and movement based problems. We have more than enough intelligence and offer an amazing product. Now, it comes down to our ability to sell- not shamelessly, but with passion and pride! Get out and sell our amazing profession.
Author: Jim Heafner PT, DPT, OCS
Jim is one of the founders of The Student Physical Therapy. He is owner of Heafner Health Physical Therapy in Boulder, Colorado.
Want to learn more from the author:
Check out his Ebook and other online resources:
1) The Guide to Efficient Physical Therapy Examination
2) The Anatomy of Human Movement
(Save $10 on either offering by using the promo code: Top10)
9/29/2022 11:09:42 am
I was captivated when you mentioned that physical therapists have special options to transform people's lives every day. My friend wants to get physical therapy. I should advise him to look for a therapist with vast experience.
Leave a Reply.
Dr. Brian Schwabe's NEW Book in partner with PaleoHacks!
Learn residency-level content on our
Insider Access pages
We value quality PT education & CEU's. Click the MedBridge logo below for TSPT savings!